Hot!

Djokovic backs Murray’s decision to leave Australian Open



novak-djokovic-dubai-tennis_3269733

 

NOVAK Djokovic believes Andy Murray would be right to fly home for the birth of his first child – even if it leaves the Australian Open without a final.

Djokovic and Murray, seeded one and two re­spectively, can only meet at the last stage in Mel­bourne but that remains a distinct possibility given three of the last five finals here had featured the pair.

Murray, however, had reiterated his intention to quit the tournament, regardless of the stage, if his wife Kim goes into labour earlier than the expected due date in mid-February.

That could, in theory, hand Djokovic the awk­ward honour of a free pass to the title but the Serb understood Murray’s stance, having welcomed his own first child Stefan in October 2014.

‘Of course I support and I agree with his decision. I would do the same,’ Djokovic said.

‘I just became a father almost 15 months ago. I understand the position that he’s in. I was not in the Grand Slam.

‘I was still kind of in a dilemma whether my wife would go into labour or not. I was actually in China. It was 2014. I didn’t know actually whether it was going to happen or not. I was ready to pack my bags and go.’