Hot!

Opinion: What It Means To Be Plus Size In A Body Diverse World



Body diversity – the one word that has rocked the fashion industry this year, the clamouring of brands to be seen as equally accepting of all body types, shapes and sizes. At the end of the day, the question is – has this acceptance permeated into everyday life?

While the brands are getting more inclusive and open-minded about what it means to be a ‘real’ human being, are other humans beings open-minded too? Do plus-size people still have to deal with snide remarks, mean talk, and unsolicited advice about their weight? 

The truth is you may never understand this perspective or know the answers to this unless you are plus-size. While it is amazing to walk into a store that stocks all the way to size 22, do I still have to worry about the sales attendant’s judgemental stares as I pick what works for me? Worse still, do I have to worry that I will be liked less by members of the opposite sex just because I am plus-size?

It’s beginning to appear that brands are more accepting of people and all their sizes than regular humans are. How else am I supposed to make sense of the internet trolls trying to drag me down when all I want is to be proud of my body? How am I supposed to explain that just because I am big, I am not unfit and I deserve to be loved still? How am I supposed to embrace who I am when society keeps knocking me down?

This is what matters – if brands accept us to make more sales and make themselves feel good but the human beings refuse to, then it’s all pointless. It means the supposedly inclusive world is a sham and the whole movement is a lie. 

I will leave you with one last question, how do you react when a plus-size person walks into the room, sits next to you on a bus or when you see them eat? Look inward and be honest, then you will truly see and understand what it means to be plus-size in a body diverse world.

The post Opinion: What It Means To Be Plus Size In A Body Diverse World appeared first on Nigerian Entertainment Today.


by 208headlines