Hot!

Ask Molly Ringwald: my friend is texting my boyfriend – should I be worried?



When I was first dating my boyfriend, he texted me one night saying he was going for a drink with my friend Lisa. They had bumped into each other at a work event. I immediately had a sick feeling in my stomach. Lisa is attractive and charming (most men I know like her or have slept with her). I didn’t say anything about my feelings at the time, but recently he got a text from Lisa and I got upset. I know we have a good relationship and I am probably overreacting, but I am wondering where these feelings are coming from and if I should listen to them. I trust my boyfriend, but these interactions with Lisa bother me a lot. What can I do?
It doesn’t seem as if you trust your boyfriend much. If you did, he should be able to hang out with the goddess Aphrodite and that would be OK. Maybe your jealousy is entirely unfounded, but I happen to think that the strong feelings you describe are there for a reason. It could be the result of past experiences that you’re bringing to this relationship – but if something feels wrong, that voice is worth listening to.

Every relationship has different rules and expectations that are best established at the beginning, rather than building on a foundation of distrust and resentment. Since Lisa is your friend (not an old friend of his), it doesn’t seem entirely appropriate for her to text your boyfriend and set up impromptu drinks meetings on a regular basis. Let your boyfriend know you don’t feel comfortable with it, and why, and come to an agreement about what is and isn’t OK with both of you. He might have some requests of his own with which you might not totally agree, but having a healthy relationship requires some compromises for the sake of your partner’s feelings, and that should be the priority here.
As far as Lisa goes, she should know better. There are some women who tirelessly take on the femme fatale role, unsatisfied until they’re sure they have the attention of every man, whether or not he is taken. Maybe she’s one of these types, maybe not, but let’s just say that if she makes a habit of texting your boyfriend without including you – unless she’s advising him what to get you for your birthday or anniversary – I’d definitely lose darling Lisa.